Thursday 7 April 2011

Slipknot



There is one band that will always hold a special place in my heart.

Slipknot is the band that got me interested in metal. Corey Taylor's vocals are inspiring and I love the difference between songs. For example, "People=Shit (Iowa)" is a bit more violent than "Vermillion Part Two (Vol. 3)", yet I find he does both perfectly well. They have released four brilliant albums "Slipknot", "Iowa", "Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses)" and their latest "All Hope Is Gone". They also released a demo album called "Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat." I have yet to find words to describe how they have influenced me.

Between these four albums and a demo, they have created some brilliant tracks. I could go through them all but that would take a while and as this blog in mostly my opinion, I'd end up naming every song. We wouldn't want that now. So instead I'll do my best and narrow it into the top 3 in hope to make a guide for people slowly evolving into a "Maggot"(Slipknot Fan).

1. Spit It Out: Firstly, imagine this song on karaoke. Good luck to that guy! Secondly, It's the most unique Slipknot song (In my opinion), because Corey Taylor almost raps. It is so quickly spoken that I did look up the lyrics. It is 2 minutes and 39 seconds of pure brutality. It stops me in my tracks and I can't help but smile, shortly followed by a rather quick headbang. If I were to play one song to someone who was on the verg of becoming a metal head and I had to choose a song to complete their journey, it wouldn't be this one. You can't skip straight to the best track with Slipknot. You have to earn it, so I'd show them number 2.

2. (Sic): This song pretty much is what it says on the tin, SICK! This is an epic song with lyrics such as "Fuck this shit, I'm sick of it, you're going down, this is a war" (Need to change my pants due to epicness). It's quite a simple song with some brilliant vocals, amazing drumming and guitar. This song has earned it's way into my good book. I can't help but want to break something. This is quite a heavy song, but most enjoyable. If you want to know what Slipknot are about, listen to (Sic)!

3. Before I Forget: This actually won an award in 2004 in our mainstream society. Metal music has a tendency to avoid or not be played on the radio (Due to a high amount of "foul language") This track has powerful words which make me think of the basics, what we are, underneath the skin. I may be looking into it too much, but this song makes me think. I also get to enjoy a catchy riff and a great chorus! If I had the power, babies would have to listen to this upon arrival. "Out the womb, wash, towel, Slipknot, food, sleep, nappy change!"

I am a Slipknot fan as you may have noticed, but I believe that their words are stronger than mine. I recommend a listen. I actually have the Slipknot "S" tattooed on my arm. I wouldn't go that far without buying all the albums first. If you do enjoy them, hopefully you'll be joining me at "Sonisphere 2011, http://uk.sonispherefestivals.com" to see them on the Sunday. See you there

No comments:

Post a Comment